Monday, December 1, 2008

The Apple Tree

I was walking through the Forest
I came upon an apple tree
I looked upon the highest branches
And in delight I did see
The most gorgeous looking apple
I do believe I’ve ever seen
I knew right then I wanted that apple
But it was at the top of the tree!

And so at once I started Climbin’
Higher n’ Higher up the tree
Bout 2/3rds up I got real tired
And said that’s good enough for me
And I looked at the other apples
Even though they weren’t as good
And then when I returned to climbing
I missed the place I’d aimed my foot

I fell out of the tree and too the ground
When I ‘came too’ I looked up
There at the top still was my apple
Telling me to ‘give it up’
As I climbed she pleaded with me
Sayin’ that I might prefer some pears
I fired back ‘no I like apples
And you’re the best apple anywhere’

All this talk of pears and apples
Really is just a metaphor
For the way I feel about you
And the mistakes I’ve made before
I wouldn’t let you try to love me
And my shame is greater still
For took you for granted
And around you I wasn’t real

I promised you I’d write a song for you
Just before I said I’d never lie
And so my darling let me tell you
What I’m feeling deep down inside
You may not think we go together
You may think we belong apart
But babe I know we’d last forever
I know it deep down in my heart

But girl I will not take you anywhere
If you decide you don’t want me
But I’ll no longer chase an apple
Or treat you like some dumb trophy
And so i'm sorry for the mess i've made
But through my falls I’ve learned a lot
See now I’m looking for a best friend
And girl you’re the best I got

No comments: