Monday, December 15, 2008

Tradition

As many of you know, I do not agree with everything that goes on at my church. To list a few things:
  • We sing the same songs every sunday
  • the Elders Serve Communion (almost exclusivly)
  • They slander the character of past ministers
  • They preach and teach something that is at times ENTIRELY different from the word of God.
  • When they use the word of God, they use the KJV because "its the best".
I do not like this. Some of these things bug me on a weekly basis! And some of these things are simple by-products of Tradition. This church has "done it" this way for half a century. It used to work. for the size that the town of Neosho used to be, High street was Bustling! But things have changed. The town of Neosho has become a small city, and many things have changed. Caucasians are no longer majority, The town is about 10-12k, and much of the city has been sub-urbanized.

I Looked at this church and wondered why they couldn't see the need for change. I found the reason today. I watched as a poem was read (a poem read every year on this second sunday of dec) and people cried tears of joy. I've had people tell me how excited they are for the youth's christmas program, as it's always a chance for fellowship witht he church and to show these "troubled kids" a little bit of God's Love.

This little church has the biggest heart I think i've ever seen. with a AWA of 50, thier AWO is 1.5K. that's amazing. They love the kids, and sypathize with thier troubled lives, but i think they just don't know what to do. They may worship the same way every week, but they pour themselves into the worship. they do thier very best to make sure its perfect, so that God will be pleased with thier offering of time.

I don't think God cares whether or not it's perfect, but i know he sees those old, tired hearts beating every so strongly for him.

I think Tradition isn't "evil", but as i always say, "Everything in Moderation".

No comments: