Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Twilight Zone

So I wound up being the transportation for my brother and abunch of his (girl)friends to go see twilight. I got a free movie out of the deal so I figured why not. I now am going to write a review of the movie as requested of a friend of mine. Don't worry, I will include no spoilers (but if you've read the book i don't think it matters).

Well, to start things on a positive note, the CG effects were actully pretty good, for being a low budget movie. As an amateur film-maker, I know how some of the effects were made, and I applaud the producers for thier creativity with limited resources. Although the sound was sometimes a little behind the visuals, It was a very enveloping experiance whenever a CG heavy scene came along. Even without the CG, the chosen locales and Lighting were very visually stimulating.

Less than stimulating however was the dialougue. Many lines seemed "stuffed in there" like they had to be in the movie somewhere. Several lines seemed "forced" by the actors, and didn't seem to have the right (if any) emotion behind them. At some points in the movie, the two leading actors simply listened to each other breathe. Now, I understand that couples actully do this on occasion, but you don't put it (at least not minutes on end of it) into the movie. And while the story was romantic, because of the "dragged out" length of the film it loses its vibrance. There was never any emotion stirred within watching this film.

Of the actors themselves, I thoroughlly enjoyed the actors chosen for the parts, with the exception of edward. Bella was cute and vibrant, though she seemed to have the same look on her face the whole movie(a sort of depressed confusion). Her father was a character and was probobly my favorite Person in the movie. Edwards family was also very intuitive, each with their own personality (seemingly more personality than the leading characters).

Edward however, never seemed to come out of the haze that surrounds his character. He is supposed to be mysterious, but it seems as soon as his personality starts to form in the viewers mind, he does something out of character. You never really learn anything about Edward during the movie.

In summary, the Movie was visually stimulating, but lacking in true Story development. I give the Movie, a 5 out of 10.

No comments: