Saturday, February 9, 2008

within myself

I've always thought of myself as musically talented. I play music by ear, and so composing is no issue for me. However, as a lyricist, i've always cut myself short. I've never liked any of my lyrics and have kept them well hidden.

When i told a friend of mine this, she asked if i believed that couldn't write lyrics. she also said she thought i wasn't giving myself room to grow and was being overly critical of myself. so i latched on to the tiny half-comment.

I wrote a song! not my own song, but a parody of another song. but that in itself sparked another thought. if i compose my own music, could i not compose my own lyrics in the same fashion. i now believe in myself. i want to try to write a song, and i'm expecting it to be good. i've always just planned on it being bad, but not anymore.

It's amazing what we're capable of when we fool ourselves into believeing somthing.

No comments: