Saturday, August 30, 2008

I have a dream....

for psychology we have to do one out of class project. the one i chose is a dream journal. basiclly, i follow my dreams thorughout the semester, take notes as soon as i wake up, and do extra things to ensure i remember them better. I had a doozie of a dream this afternoon during my nap.

some presently held hypothesis on dreams:

Ferenczi[18] proposed that the dream, when told, may communicate something that is not being said outright.

Dreams are like the cleaning-up operations of computers when they are off-line, removing parasitic nodes and other "junk" from the mind during sleep.[19][20]

Dreams create new ideas through the generation of random thought mutations. Some of these may be rejected by the mind as useless, while others may be seen as valuable and retained. Blechner[21] calls this the theory of "Oneiric Darwinism."

Dreams regulate mood.[22]

Hartmann[23] says dreams may function like psychotherapy, by "making connections in a safe place" and allowing the dreamer to integrate thoughts that may be dissociated during waking life.

More recent research by Griffin has led to the formulation of the 'expectation fulfillment theory of dreaming', which suggests that dreaming metaphorically completes patterns of emotional expectation and lowers stress levels.

Regardless, this dream of mine has had nothing of an interpretation so far. that is actully one thing i'm supposed to do for the assignment is take a gander at interpreting it. however, i would prefer to wait till some of the emotions from the dream have settled. the danger of sufacing dreams, is you are literally taking a piece of your subconcious mind and pulling it into the concious world. after my nap today, I had to ask my buddy joe if a certain event had taken place in real life or just in my dream, as i wasn't sure.

Through all this, i hope to learn more about myself, and through that, I hope to grow closer to God.

No comments: