Thursday, September 3, 2009

Beautiful Soul

I went to the Social Security Administration Office today expecting once heck of a boring time waiting, then talking with a sour-faced, ugly, over-worked government agent who would try to make my day as bad as her's. I was pleasantly surprised.

My wait was very short, just couple minutes. The lady who helped me was sweet, pleasant, beautiful, and ... autistic. She had to use her entire right hand to hold my driver's license. She held the mouse with a slanted left hand, which held a huge 3-set diamond ring. They were at least 1 carat a piece. I fought back the urge to tear up as she told me about her sister in Oklahoma, and about her wonderful husband and how good he is too her, and about her 2 boys! Her face was so bright, so happy. That's why she was so beautiful. Her eyes glimmered with the joy of love and contentment.

I think if my soul was half as beautiful as this sweet woman's, I would not complain about my life. I would not be so selfish. I would do things like fill out the 4 page Social Security Card Request Form for people so they didn't have to. She did that for me, even though I could have moved the mouse faster, and typed with more agility.

Sometimes, I envy people with disabilities for their happiness. All of us normal people seem to be sad, whiny and selfish! ;)

No comments: