Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The slow moments at QuikTrip

Today I went back to work at QT. I got to work with my old manager and, surprisingly, with an old friend. I got to re-enter the world of retail, a world of corporate structure, of policies and procedures and standards. It was somewhat refreshing to once again be surrounded by structure that I was not responsible for. And yet, since my store was located in North Tulsa, I saw up close the reason I went to school in the first place.

I saw Emma, who stole some money from her parents(before they could buy drugs) and came to buy food for herself and her brother.

I saw a young girl come in and buy condoms so she could express her love to her boyfriend...little did she know what was in store.

I saw a young man come in and try very hard to be gangster. I could have done better. This young man was black. But that is his culture, and he was trying so hard to just fit in.

These people are who God has called me too. He won't let me escape them. I found them first in dallas. Then in Tulsa. Then in Mexico, and even in Joplin Missouri! The young ones, with so much future, so much life, so much potential. The ones who are broken, and helpless. When I see them, and think about them, I understand Chris DeWelt's passion for missions. The plight of Inner city youth brings tears to my eyes.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
~James 1:27

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick,

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind changing our link on your blog. Our ministry blog is http://matthew1929.wordpress.com

Thanks